Thursday, June 12, 2014

Burt’s Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm - more bubblegummy than pomegranate-y


I've been a long-time Burt's Bees fan ever since I tried it about 10 years ago! I love that they use beeswax which has amazing properties. I've picked up various products over the years, and one of my regulars is their lip balm. This is the second time I've tried this variant of their lip balm with pomegranate oil and I think I am falling out of love with it.

Product name: Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil

Ingredients: helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, lanolin, aroma (flavor), punica granatum (pomegranate) oil, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), carmine, benzyl salicylate, cinnamal, citral, eugenol, geraniol, hydroxycitronellal, limonene, linalool.

Pros: The scent - though I don't think it's anything like pomegranate - is fruity and rather bubblegummy. It’s not sticky, glides on smoothly, and leaves a very light pinkish tint on the lips.

Cons: I used to LOVE the scent but now sort of getting sick of it - it doesn't smell natural to me. I have also gotten annoyed with the taste.

Now, the big Argh. When I first checked this about a year ago, its rating of 3 (moderate concern) kind of freaked me out! I happened to love this lip balm at the time and when I saw the rating of 3 in the Cosmetics Database, well … WHY?!

I'm not sure if they've changed the formulation or that the researchers behind the Cosmetics Database have revised their rating.

At any rate, this is now more a personal choice. The rating says this lip balm is good to go. If you like bubblegummy pomegranate, you should try this out.

Rating of product in EWG's Skin Deep Database: 2 (low hazard)