Sunday, June 29, 2014

Beguiled by brilliant sales & marketing

Photo by George Hordan
 Warning: this is a rant.

With Canada Day around the corner, there are some awesome sales out there. But what to buy?

I am subscribed to both Kiehl's and L'Occitane, two brands that I have loved and tried and still have yet to come to terms with -- that not all their stuff has the good "stuff."

Kiehl's has $10 off.

L'Occitane has three free hand creams with a purchase of anything $35 and up. And they have piles of products in their summer sale, anywhere from 20-50% off.

I find myself going a bit stir crazy on L'Occitane's website. Maybe I'll get L'Occitane's shampoo and conditioner duo -- 25% off! Then I can three hand creams free (value $18). But wait, there's an additional 10% off. I need one more product so I get free shipping at $49.

But somehow I stop. I stop and start researching the ingredients. The L'Occitane's shampoo and conditioner duo stops looking so appealing:
  • The L'Occitane Aromachologie Volumizing Shampoo has an EWG Database rating of 7 (high hazard, see here), with three parabens listed straight off (in bright red nonetheless).
  • The L'Occitane Aromachologie Volumizing Conditioner also has a rating of 7 (high hazard, see here)

Deep breath.

Maybe I'll just unsubscribe from these mailing lists. I am such a sucker for sales and freebies.